Saturday, May 30, 2009

tales of craigslist

When I speak with people about my love for Craigslist, I'm often met with skepticism and an unfounded fear of making deals with strangers. I've been a part of the following exchange more than once:

Q:
So, how did you find your place in New York?
A: Craigslist!
Q: REALLY? Isn't that ... dangerous?

Well yes - potentially. But for every Craigslist killer, Craigslist scammer and Craigslist creeper (for lolz, check out the "Casual Encounters" section), there are thousands of other well-intentioned folk. And there are lots of ways to avoid finding yourself in a bad situation.

In Madison I used Craiglist frequently.
  • I used it to sell my old Nintendo DS and accompanying games
  • I used it to sell the Lollapalooza pass I couldn't use because I had to design the Herald send-home edition. (This is a sore subject - I'm still bummed. Last year's lineup may never be matched)
  • I used it to buy a worn-in softball glove for $10
I've easily had the most luck with the site through making my own posts. Even if you're looking for a very specific item or a very low price - you'll probably find it. So many people use Craigslist that the odds are good.

Instead of sifting through the thousands of rental posts for Brooklyn and Manhattan, I wrote my own ad. I stated my specifications - the area I'd like to live in, my price range, the dates I'd be in the city. I ended up connecting with a great couple who rent rooms in their brownstone. Its a block from an F stop and Prospect Park. My room is airy and spacious, the neighborhood is (relatively) safe and quiet and my landlords/co-habitators are awesome.

Last week, I posted an ad looking for a large suitcase. I came to New York with just a carry-on; I'd been on vacation in Europe with a big group of friends and had sent three boxes of things ahead. Before flying back to Wisconsin, I needed luggage in a major way.

My post read:

After living in the city for a 5-month unpaid internship, it's time to fly back to Wisconsin. I just... need a suitcase to haul my things there with me.

As my bank account has fallen deeper into the red with each passing day, I don't have much money to spend. If anyone recently cleaned out their attic or closet and has a large-ish rolling suitcase in good condition that they want to get rid of, I'd be thrilled to take it off your hands.

Only email me if you're 1) not a creep and 2) willing to part with a suitcase for under $20. Photos would be very welcome. Thanks!


I was contacted by a handful of people. One prospect seemed best - a woman who lived about a mile away was selling a like-new large suitcase for $25. I made plans to meet up with her after work on Thursday to check out the suitcase.

It was raining, I was a little nervous to meet a stranger (but I'd given her contact info to Nick just in case anything sketchy happened and she seemed legit - I googled her) and I really had to pee. Luckily, the girl was quite cool - she used to be in a rock band and had to traveled to Madison several times. Heck, she even offered me water or beer when she saw my harried state (I turned her down - you never know). But the transaction went smoothly and I got a nearly mint-condition, huge suitcase for $25.

Me with the aforementioned suitcase. Please note that I arrange my clothes by the colors of the rainbow.

These kinds of happy transactions with strangers is exactly why, even though it's killing newspapers, I love Craigslist.

6 comments:

  1. So whatever happened to that suitcase I sent to Madison with you? Is it still in Madison?

    Cute Craigslist post, by the way. Can't wait to see you soon!!!!!!!!! Luv from Moms

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're missing some colors of the rainbow.

    and i think you're pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found one of my roommates from Craigslist. She's from Wisconsin. Coincidince???
    -Sierra Vig

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found out you have a blog. I Favorited you! And why didn't Alli tell me? She's withholding............
    --Alli's mom
    A.K.A. Janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. hah yes i use craigslist for everything.
    have you heard the latest? http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2009/06/04/2009-06-04_north_carolina_man_used_craigslist_to_find_man_to_rape_his_own_wife_cops.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Craigslist. So very very much. I'm so glad you share my appreciation.

    ReplyDelete