Thursday, February 19, 2009

summer in madison. a beautiful thing.

Spending last summer on Madison's isthmus, I feel I struck a perfect balance between productivity and relaxation. Though I'm here in New York, which most consider the cultural capital of the US, I've been feeling intense pangs of longing for Madison. I'm not missing school whatsoever, but I keep thinking about the things I did last summer and all the things I'm excited for upon my return.

Why I'm missing Madison and pining for last summer:

  • Paul's Books: my co-workers/second family there, the smell of old books, finding neat miscellaneous things in old books, working in the cozy store while it rains outside
  • Med Cafe. It's always perfect - no Mediterranean food I've had here has come close to the lamb and beef shawarma plate, avgo soup and pita
  • Lake Mendota - watching boats, birds and people
  • The Dane County Farmers' Market on the Square and its wonderful produce/baked goods
  • Proximity to friends and family
  • Nick
  • My little Henry, the funniest cat in the world
  • The Badger Herald - making it, reading it, loving it
  • Walking to the Capitol on beautiful and bright days
  • Madison publications: WSJ, CapTimes/77 Square, Isthmus, The Onion, the Herald and...the Cardinal (I guess)
  • Taking the kids I babysat to the pool
  • Cookouts at the park with D-White's burgers and Sarah Scallon's bars
  • Breakfast at Sunroom Cafe, Sophia's and Mickey's with friends
  • Lazy evenings with movies and takeout from Kipps, Asian Kitchen and Insomnia
  • Picnics at Picnic Point
  • Watching the sun set at Monona Terrace
  • Mallards games - especially while wearing my FEAR THE DUCK shirt
  • The Terrace and its music, events and pitchers
  • State Street, Monroe Street, Willy Street and all they have to offer
  • Fair Trade coffee, scones and vegan peanut butter bars
  • Playing volleyball in Klief Park at dusk and making fun of D-White
  • Losing at intramural volleyball
  • The typical college party scene (at least every once in a while) followed by a wonderful Jin's chicken sandwich
  • Art at the MMOCA and Chazen
  • Cheese curds. Squeaky, fried, fresh.
  • Wine and cheese nights with best friends
  • Trying new recipes with Sarah and Nicole
  • Bratfest, Jazz Fest, fireworks for the fourth of July and the countless other gatherings and festivals Madison hosts
  • Concerts on the Square
  • Hippy Christmas and the wonderful fruit it bears
  • Fluxx, Scrabble and MarioKart 64 with the usual suspects (Dallas and Nicole)
  • Running around the city and jumping into the lake to cool off
  • Vilas Zoo
  • Biking on cool, breezy summer nights

6 comments:

  1. Aw greeeenway. I'm excited for us to reunite in Madison this August. PS I'll be living right by the Jin's stand next year, so if you need a pit stop after that occasional house party, you know where to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This perfectly captures why we get along so well. I can't wait to do all this with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um... I think you missed an integral one here called "my birthday"

    ReplyDelete
  4. You forgot about being able to see brother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Upon further review I am incorrect in my statement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For: Summer
    Against: Winter

    ReplyDelete