Friday, March 6, 2009

on solitude

In Madison, I have six roommates, one cat and a giant network of wonderful co-workers and friends. My brother, parents and grandparents live a relatively short, three hour drive away. I didn't spend much time alone last semester, and that suited me just fine.

I moved to New York knowing one person in a city of millions, renting a room from people I'd never met and planning to work at a place I interviewed for over the phone. I was truly worried that I'd be painfully lonely here in Brooklyn.

Luckily, that hasn't been the case at all. The people I live with are friendly and accommodating - I just have to go down to the kitchen to socialize. I work with interesting and amusing writer-producers. I've spent some time with new friends, visiting bars and museums.

But more important to me than social interactions is the comfort I'm feeling just being alone. Whether it's grabbing a hot chocolate and banana chocolate chip muffin in the morning, riding the subway uptown or watching 30 Rock in my room, I am becoming better acquainted with myself.

I'm so appreciative that I have this opportunity to unwind and get away from everything; it's like a mini-retreat, of sorts. I'm slowly coercing my creativity to return. I'm peaceful and relaxed. I'm learning more about myself - and I've found that I'm truly happy with who I am (but always looking to improve). And spending this time apart from everyone I love is teaching me to better appreciate them.

That being said, nothing makes me happier than hearing from loved ones outside my New York bubble. I get a giant smile on my face when I come home to a bundle of mail or receive a text message out of the blue. I've even received homemade cookies TWICE now!

I have an awesomely solid schedule of visitors (my boyfriend, best friend and maybe my brother!) lined up for the next few weeks and in May. Despite my pleasant solitude, I'm more than ready to see some familiar, much-loved faces.

3 comments:

  1. I think this time alone has been just what you've needed. Soak it up before life gets crazy again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may be living with only two people in two floor house this summer. I think it'll be weird at first though nice to not live with seven other people, most of whom I don't like that much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay!! I'm so excited to visit. I have to go through your email and decide what we are going to do...

    ReplyDelete