Sunday, April 26, 2009

coney island pictorial

Coney Island failed to meet my already-low expectations - it's essentially a very, very run-down carnival. There were only a handful of rides running, including the 89-year-old WonderWheel.

Jeremy and I played some skee-ball (between us we won two army men, yess!), saw treasure-hunters with metal detectors and watched people playing handball. Because of the beach, it was a good choice for a hot day, but I'm not sure I'd go back. Coney Island is decades past its prime, hopefully the city will do something to revive it!

Jeremy and I waited in line for Nathan's "famous" (mediocre) hot dogs and fries for far too long. Nathan's is the host of the hot dog eating contest broadcasted by ESPN.

The Freak Show was advertising "THE TATTOOED WOMAN," who is, naturally, covered head to toe with tattoos. I could just go to Williamsburg to see that.

The Coney Island beach was littered with glass (I kept my shoes on). After a while we walked up to Brighton Beach, where I read happily in the sand for a couple of hours. My previously-pale skin is now rather pink.

3 comments:

  1. I sort of suspected Coney Island was past its prime, also. At least you confirmed that for me!

    ReplyDelete