Tuesday, April 21, 2009

nyc words of wisdom

New York City is like a wise Buddha, it can teach many lessons. Here are some that Ashley and I learned last weekend.

[1] Upon leaving for an evening out, ensure you have a form of legal ID

For her first evening in the city, Ashley and I planned an extensive evening in SoHo, NoHo and Nolita. First, we were to dine at Snack - an awesome Greek restaurant I ate at a couple of months ago. Then we plotted a route between three or four highly rated bars and nightclubs in the vicinity. It was a fantastic plan: sexy, practical. It was going to be magical.

We made it to Snack, where we shared a delicious meal (lemon avgolemono soup, calamari salad, a fried cheese triangle thing and baklava). It wasn't until I opened my wallet at the end of the meal when I realized I'd forgotten my ID at home...in my other pants.

Damnit.

We headed home, where we bought a bottle of wine and watched Weeds in an attempt to salvage our evening.

[2] Future career goal: mail carrier for Jacques Torres

Stopping at Jacques Torres has become a necessary activity for any time I entertain a visitor in Brooklyn. I mean, their chocolate is so tasty, the cookies are melty and loaded with chocolate discs, and the shop is just so darn cute! Plus it's close to the Brooklyn Bridge, which I have now walked three times.

Ashley and I stopped in to JT on Saturday. I bought some chocolate for a certain someone (who I already spilled the beans to, ugh I can't keep secrets at ALL), along with a cookie and a couple of chocolates for myself. While paying, a postal worker walked in with their mail. This is how he was greeted:

JT Employee: Hi! Want a cookie?
Mail Carrier: Sure!

Um, HELLO?! I want this sweet, sweet hookup. Jealousy!

[3] Strangers don't normally time jump photos correctly

Exhibit A: jump fail

[4] Boulderers can find challenge in any rock face

After walking the Bridge, Ashley and I headed uptown to relax in Central Park. We settled onto a rock near some boulderers who were equipped with chalk bags, crash pads and bulging muscles. They were climbing this:

The size of that rock! Come on, right? It looked really difficult though.

I couldn't stop watching. Now I realllly want to go rock climbing, too bad I have zero muscle.

[5] Just because someone seems confident in their advice, don't necessarily take it for truth

Once again, parts of the F line were under construction last weekend, so the trains got confusing. At one point, we were uncertain if we had gotten off at the correct stop, but a nearby woman reassured us she was waiting for the same train.

It never came.

We figured out that she was probably wrong, tried to leave, but she reassured us again that this is what we were supposed to do - but it wasn't. She meant well, but I should have listened to my own instinct/knowledge of the subway. (See? I totally know this city!)

[6] There is no such thing as a gin & seltzer, nor should there be


I thought seltzer and tonic water were the same thing. They're not. We were drinking gin and waters. Actually, as I think about this more, it is kind of hilarious.

[7] Adding marshmallows to brownies is an EXCELLENT idea

This pan of Mississippi Mud Brownies was demolished in approximately 30 hours

[8] "Doing brunch" in NYC is different than brunch in the Midwest

What do you get when you cross brunch at The Sunburnt Cow ($18 for an entree and unlimited mimosas), distressingly handsome Aussie bartenders and easy conversation? The answer, my friends, is "sloshed by 3 pm".

Another answer is "shopping fever." Instead of our original plan to grab cupcakes and head to the Met, Ashley and I hit up American Apparel and the Brooklyn Flea in DUMBO. We bought things.

[9] Two types of people emerge when the weather warms up

We had beautiful weather Saturday for the first time in weeks, and I could definitely tell that people were (A) more friendly and (B) creepier than usual.

Ashley and I talked to multiple helpful people in the park and on the subway, I acquired an overly-friendly admirer and a different man (who was harassing us) told us "I'm not trying to harass you or anything...I like you guys! You match."

[10] Take two girls exploring New York, add a camera. The result?

Lots and lots of photos. (Miscellaneous photos from the weekend)

A view of the Brooklyn Bridge from Empire-Fulton Ferry park on one gorgeous day

Perched atop the bridge. It's kind of scary, but produces nice photos!

These were taken after brunch. Obviously.

All photos courtesy Ms. Ashley Jacobs!!

7 comments:

  1. I think we all know that the jump fail came from not being able to jump ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me sad and happy at the same time. We will have fun when Tracy and I come to visit. Count on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This whole post is absolutely spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a hoot and a half, Poopsie! You and Ashley make a formidable pair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oo a formidable pair, I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you come back to Madison I'll take you rock climbing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this post! those post brunch pictures are a riot.

    ReplyDelete