Friday, May 22, 2009

the met

Today's adventures were just as exhausting (just less extensive) as yesterday's: Emma and I spent our afternoon at the Met.


The Met is GIGANTIC - it's home to more than two million works of art. It'd be impossible to do the museum justice in a month - much less four hours - but we did our best. Before I leave in two weeks, I'd like to spend another day at the Met and go one of their audio tours. Instead of trying to piece together the stories of all the artifacts myself, I'll get a better feel for the history.

The Temple of Dendur - Egypt donated the temple to the US in the 1960s because of our efforts to save its monuments and relics.

A copy of a bronze statue of the Roman goddess Diana that previously stood in Madison Square Garden.

"Maelstrom" - a sculpture on the Met's rooftop garden. The rooftop view is beautiful and unusual. The green line of trees between the sculpture and the buildings is Central Park. This was Emma and my second city rooftop excursion in less than 24 hours!!

Van Gogh's "Wheat Field" (left) and... something else.

A crazy mirror mosaic - looking into it is rather trippy. Emma's face is great.

Post-Met, we moved on to a part of Central Park I hadn't visited before, in an effort to rest our feet. Instead we walked around and saw cool stuff.

Bassey introducing himself to the Alice in Wonderland statue.

Finally relaxing.

3 comments:

  1. Very beautiful pictures, Katie! I so wish I could be there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the pics, g-way! miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Allie Demet) Sry. Foolishly thought signing in as my google account would, you know, furnish me with my full name.

    ReplyDelete