Wednesday, May 13, 2009

overseen on the F

On the website Overheard in New York, New Yorkers submit unintentionally hilarious parts of conversations on which they've eavesdropped. I'd like to submit an idea for a new site: Overseen on the F.

The F train is my jam. It's super convenient, taking me to work, home and within blocks of anywhere I want to go in Manhattan. But let me put it delicately: the F has a certain undeniable... charm.

For the past few months, out-of-the-ordinary people and happenings on the F have provided me with more entertainment than I get all year on State Street. These people are competing with Scanner Dan.

A selection of things I've "overseen on the F":

[1] a hip, yoga-mat-toting man eating sushi with chopsticks

[2] a man, perhaps with Tourette's, who loudly vocalized his displeasure with the unmoving train through grunts and yells

[3] a man covertly selling "incense and body oils, incense and body oils..."

[4] an angry vegan PETA-type woman shouting "meat is murder" & scaring passengers into taking a flyer

[5] multiple mariachi bands (I've since realized this is not uncommon)

[6] a man who clearly didn't know how to play the cello, playing a cello.

[7] an invasion of 50 nutty 8-year-olds chattering, yelling and laughing, presumably on the way to a field trip

[8] a shirtless man, fully passed out (before midnight), rolling around with each start and stop of the train

[9] a business man crafting what appeared to be a hemp necklace

[10] a father and son team transporting a shopping cart laden with gigantic bags of bottles and cans - their load was easily the size of a small elephant and the bags were secured by ropes

[11] (new entry!) A man intently hunched over his reading material of choice: the Intimate Toy Times

3 comments:

  1. SO to Scanner Dan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the F train is exciting. I remember being in the Cities when I just got out of college and seeing a crazy man talking to himself and wearing a flower pot on his head while I was waiting for the bus. I still can't figure out how he got that flower pot to sit on his head.

    Luv u!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you know there's an Overheard in Madison? Signe started it.

    ReplyDelete