Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Wisconsin moments

In September, I was lucky enough to escape LA and spend some time in Wisconsin for my birthday. I had the best time ever, and that's putting it lightly. I hadn't been home in nearly a year and was delighted to discover that my home state is even quirkier than remembered.

September's Top 10 Most Wisconsin Moments 

10. An evening at The Old Fashioned
Madison's The Old Fashioned prides itself on its uniquely Wisconsin vibe - and it delivers every time. I ordered the walleye sandwich, deep fried cheese curds and a couple of brandy Old Fashioneds. By the end of the night my liver heart had swelled with enough state pride that I was ready get a Wisconsin tattoo and/or buy a t-shirt advertising summer sausage.



















9. Textbook autumn weather
Perfect weather, changing leaves and that inimitable crisp autumn air. There's just no place more wonderful than Wisconsin in fall.
























8. Publicly intoxicated octogenarians
At a Menomonie supper club for my birthday, my group was treated to dinner AND a show. From our booth, we had a perfect view of a trio of ladies (ages 75-85), ordering drink after drink at the bar. We watched with increasing joy as the ol' biddies began cackling loudly, gossiping about their marriages ("I been married 40 years...too long!"), celebrating recent surgeries and, finally, breaking glassware.

**No photo available to protect the old and sloshed.

7. This giant mouse
My great-grandma used to have a salt and pepper shaker of the same shape.
What...even?!



















6. Drivin' truck
Grandma Trixie lent me her pickup truck to use around town. Enough said.
My steed.















5. Supper club decor
Speaking of pickups, truck tailgates appear to be having a moment at the Wisconsin supper club in 2012 - as do cowboy-hatted patrons (and piranhas, but that belongs on a different list altogether).
























4. Eating no vegetables
I can count the veggies I ate over my 10-day trip on one hand. Or more accurately, one finger. (Hint: potato).
The famous Plaza Burger; buckeyes; fried cheese curds

























3. Wisconsin rush hour
You'd be surprised how much tractors and other various farm equipment can impede your progress between Boyceville, WI (pop. 1,086) and Menomonie, WI (pop. 16,264) at 5pm on a weekday.
























2. Big Buck Hunter
Big Buck Hunter is a simulation hunting game available at all of the best local bars. I became very competitive - shooting bucks, moose and geese left and right. My confidence lasted until the bonus round where a especially pissed off bear came out of nowhere and ended me in one swipe.
Crushin' it.

























1. Cheese factory heritage
At the end of my trip, it was obviously imperative I purchase $40 of cheese to tote back to LA. After presenting my credit card at the Cady Cheese Factory, I was met with an amazing question: "Are you related to the Greenways down the road?" Why yes. Yes I am. For you see, my family's cheese factory was a Cady Cheese competitor for decades. I am cheese royalty in Wilson, WI (pop. 176).
Part of my cheese bounty

























September's Most LA Moment

1. $10 juice
Returning to LA, I was psyched to hit the local juice bar and detox from all of the carbs/cheese/desserts I consumed in Wisconsin... only to learn they now charge $10 for a small juice. By the time I realized what I was getting into, I was already handing over the cash. (I want to punch myself in the head, too). Mark my words, Silverlake Juice and Tea: I will never visit you again. Unless you drop your prices. Then I'll be back. That juice was fucking great.
Such promise. Such letdown.

1 comment: