Sunday, February 1, 2009

workin' nine to pie

I've been sooooo incredibly lazy today...but to appease certain parties, I suppose I should write an update about the last 168 hours of my life.

My internship is pretty great. I had to sign a confidentiality agreement so I can't give too many details, but I'm doing a little of everything: getting groceries, ordering lunch, reading scripts and outlines and giving notes, researching for upcoming projects, building shelves and breaking down cardboard. Just being in a production office and observing the process is very educational - I learn a lot just by sitting at my desk and listening! It's also definitely fun to get insider information about actors, directors, movies, etc.

There are only four paid employees and one other intern at the company, so I'm feeling relatively comfortable with everyone already. Supposedly they're going to set up one-on-one lunches between the interns and employees so we can discuss our goals, get advice and just get to know them better. There's also talk of bowling and bar outings!

Actually, one of the guys I work for edited a humor anthology, and there was a live show (essentially a promotional event where a few contributing authors read their pieces) for it in Manhattan the other night. I got to go with one of the production assistants - I had a great time and was glad to get out into the city.

Despite liking my job, after my first full week of there (working 40+ hours a week at one job for the first time ever), I wonder how people stand putting in this much time at jobs they hate. I mean, the day starts to drag on after 7, 8, 9 hours.

I went out to a couple of bars again on Friday night - I brought my new roommate Jeremy (he's Canadian and has the stereotypical accent, especially when he's talking to his friends/family on the phone) along to meet up with Bassey and his friend Joe, who we went out with last week. Our destination of the evening was Union Hall, a bar in Park Slope with bookcases, leather couches and bocce ball courts inside! As we hoped, it was a decidedly wonderful bar (and Jeremy and I took a legit, yellow cab home, so all was well there).

There are a couple of ideas for projects running around inside my head, so I may start working on something - that is, if I can break this trend toward laziness. I've been watching a lot of movies though (Slumdog Millionaire, Tropic Thunder, Waitress, Father of the Bride, The Visitor)...and thanks to a certain friend from back home, I may now be addicted to The Real World: Brooklyn. Evidently, the TV/movie watching I neglected while in school has come on full force in an environment unfettered by homework obligations.

Okay, so instead of watching the Super Bowl tonight, I made a giant batch of chicken noodle soup and two peanut butter pies (inspired by watching Waitress). After tasting them, I'm certain that I made the right decision. Sooooo good.

Miscellaneous notes:
- Send me mail. Please?
- Still no library card. I have a change of address form from my bank so I technically could get it now, but the freakin' library is closed on Sundays. UGHHH.
- I went running again yesterday, so I'm averaging once a week. Oh yeah. The plan is to wake up at 7:30 and go tomorrow morning. It remains to be seen if this actually happens.
- I have no money; I spent all of my discretionary income in Europe. I'm trying to save, but damn! I want to shop.
- Running counter to my goal of saving money, I may go visit my friend Ashley in D.C. next weekend...buses are easily available and relatively cheap from NYC to D.C. and I'm dying to see her, so I hope it works out!
- I decided I don't want to babysit anymore - I'd never have time to be lazy or have people visit! This is also not helping my un-moneyed-state.
- Sarah, WE SHOULD MAKE LOBSTER!!!! We can boil them alive and listen to their death shrieks. On second thought...let's make salad.

5 comments:

  1. "Workin' Nine to Pie" - pretty clever, Sweet Pea. I will send you something in the mail yet this week; give me a few days to get it all together. Luv u lots! Mommers

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds good haha i'll be keeping up with the cheesy apples too

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah that is a lott of hours to be putting in for an unpaid internship. I did I think it was.. 10-6pm, mon-thursday from jan till may/june? wow, i have a bad memory. but the internship was really stupid and i mainly looked at things on the web all day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can we make peanut butter pie when I come to NYC? Please?

    ReplyDelete