Tuesday, March 31, 2009

bad news shoes

When Alli visited we went shopping at Century 21, a discount designer store in Manhattan. They had an awesome shoe selection - DANGER, WILL ROBINSON. I succumbed to instinct and ended up buying a couple of pairs of wonderfully cheap, cute shoes.

Exhibit A:
Cream buckled flats. I want to wear them to a tea party. I wish I liked tea...

Exhibit B:
Gladiator sandals. Or, if you prefer, "Jesus sandals" - though I feel these kicks are way more badass than Jesus's ever were.

Today the weather was pretty nice (by my upper-Midwestern standards, of course), so I figured it was the perfect opportunity to give my new sandals a trial run.

Bad call.

As it turned out, I had to travel into Manhattan to do multiple errands for my internship. Then I ran some materials to one of our writers in Park Slope on my way home. This amounted to miles more walking than usual.

And my new sandals? They absolutely obliterated my feet. I was hobbling home at the end of the day. But at least my feet looked good, right? Well, I realized my feet were filthy when I got home. The dirt and dust of the New York city streets and subway found its way to my soles.

I now know why:
a) New Yorkers prefer to walk around in tennis shoes
b) I was the only sandal-clad person I saw all day


Um. So I won't be wearing those shoes to work again.

5 comments:

  1. Oooh, I like both pair, Sweet Pea. Can I borrow them? Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BLASPHEMY!

    How DARE you say that your sandals are cooler than those that HE wore?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like walking around in Madison when they are doing all the construction. My feet were always icky too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Give. Me. Your. Shoes. Nao.

    And let's make this when you get back.

    http://www.forkfulofnews.com/?p=744

    ReplyDelete